Thursday, May 22, 2008

Amongst the vending machines, and year-old magazines...

I'm thinking about music's connection to the soul. I know, I know, I am completely random - but the longer you hang around here, the more you will continue to figure that out. :)

Anyway, I'm listening to Death Cab for Cutie's album Plans and thinking about how much of an impact this particular album has had on my life. I mean, it's hard to explain, but these songs helped me get through a really tough time in my life a year and a half ago. My grandfather was dying, in a painful and sad way, and my family was trying so hard to hold itself together, and things were, to put it lightly, a bit of a mess. I honestly can't say what I would have done if not for my family, and my faith, and my belief that my grandpa was a born-again Christian - a disciple of Jesus Christ. That was my one happy thought during that time. I know that I know that I know that he is no longer in pain, and he is with his Saviour. How can I possibly know this? Because he lived his life loving people the way Christ loved, and when he prayed for us, his heart was just right there, being poured out and proclaiming Christ.

I loved my grandpa. And I still miss him every day. And it's funny, because I wasn't thinking about any of this until I started Plans on my iTunes. There's definitely a connection between music and memory. I have no doubt about that. And there are some songs on this album that just make me smile and sing along. And there is one, "What Sarah Said," that makes me cry to this day because of it's paralleled lyrics to my life when I first heard it. 

So, that is my vignette for the day. I'm particularly excited for Saturday, because I'm going with my brother and a couple of friends to Bend, OR to see Death Cab in concert! It will definitely be a good time. More on that later.

Thanks for tuning in...if you did.

No comments: