Friday, December 31, 2010

wrapping it up

I've been sifting through my brain for days, trying to decide how to wrap up this year with words. What I have found through all my sifting is that I don't know how to wrap this year up. It's uncontainable for me. And that is a very good thing, I think.

So much has happened in my life, and I couldn't be more thankful (for once) for ALL of the change that has accompanied 2010. It was all welcome change, and most has been so monumental for me personally that I am still largely in the middle of processing it. 

Particularly within the last four months, I have lived outside of my comfort zone in such a way that all of my 24 years of previous living experience has been shaken. It's amazing. I have grown so much, and through some powerful and sometimes difficult conversations with a few new close friends I have discovered that my self-perception has been skewed to an extreme of inaccuracy. So many things that I've always told myself (or heard from outside sources) that I was bad at or couldn't do or didn't have the personality for have been placed in front of me and conquered. I think maybe God is trying to teach me a few things here! Gladly, I accept them. 

So far, just in the past four months I have:
1. moved to a new city where I didn't know a soul 
2. transferred to a new university where I also didn't know a soul and 
3. started being a student again after 4 very long years
4. made friends with people who still don't believe that I'm truly an introvert (who knew I could be outgoing???)
5. joined the most boisterous student group that exists at NU - the Student Activities Board. As a division of the Student Government, we plan, implement, and are the face of all the "fun stuff" that happens at the university. That's right, I do the "fun stuff." ha.
6. applied for a leadership position on SAB (and got it!). Next semester I will be an Event Coordinator - I have another EC to partner with, and we are responsible for making sure our specific events get organized and off the ground...I'll even have a team of SAB members to work with. weird. but exciting.
7. not only survived a debate in my communications class, but got an A on it - which if you know me at all is a huge victory, as I have long thought myself incapable of decent public speaking. Turns out I was wrong...
8. after 4 years of not doing an ounce of homework or writing or reading anything 'academic,' I not only passed all of my classes, but made the Dean's List as well! 

I'm not what I would classify the adventurous type, or the outgoing type, or even necessarily the fun type, but what 2010 has taught me is that I need to stop classifying myself and allow myself to be and become what God wants me to be - and not what anyone else says I am or am not, or should or should not be.

A verse I just came across this afternoon jumped out at me for this coming year:

The LORD says, "I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you." Psalm 32:8 (New Living Translation)

I feel like that is God's promise for me in 2011. Focus on Him, and He will take me to and through everything He has planned for me this year. I encourage you to rest on that this coming year as well. But don't just rest on it, go out and live it! Live your life to its full potential in 2011! 

Happy New Year, friends! 

My roommate Kenzie, Ellie, Kelsey, me, Angie, and Jennifer @ NU in November. :)

3 comments:

Stephanie. said...

Congratualtions on every accomplishment and memory you gained this semester! I had so much fun visiting you guys over last spring and hope you can come visit us sometime. =)

Amy said...

Not surprised a bit by any of this! Glad to hear you're happy and thriving in this new phase of life. Yay Dana! :)

Linda said...

I am a happy Momma reading this! You make me so proud. I just love how you are growing and enjoying this time in your life. You have much to offer and I can't wait to see how it all plays out.